Transaction Pro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > QuickBooks Products > 01 Transaction Pro Deleter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using the program to reduce QB file size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using the program to reduce QB file size
    Posted: 01 September 2007 at 7:47am

While some users purchase the Transaction Pro Deleter (TPD) to remove unneeded transactions, many others purchase it to reduce ever growing QuickBooks data file sizes.

After deleting the transactions you may not see the file size reduced unless you take these steps:

1. Run a Clean Up Data. File/Utilities/Clean Up Company Data. Remove all transactions before the date you ran the deletions. This will also remove data from the Audit Log as well.
2. Run the Rebuild Utility within QuickBooks

3. Create a portable company file
4. Restore this portable company file. You will see that the portable company file restored to a normal QuickBooks file has been reduced in file size.
jmwawa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmwawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2010 at 12:37pm
How do I create a quickbooks portable company file?
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 9:11am
Creating a portable company file is covered in the QuickBooks help file.
MANAGER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MANAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 10:25am

I am looking into the Pro Delete to shrink my QuickBooks file size.  If I use this and delete previous years information that I have now saved to disk will it affect my current ytd information? 

Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 10:32am
It will have the same impact as manually deleting the transactions. This will impact account balances and inventory counts. It is recommended that you run a trial balance and inventory counts before and after the deletions and then enter an inventory adjustment and adjusting journal entry to get your balances back.
MANAGER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MANAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the info Administrator!
coramdeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coramdeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 7:14am

I need clarification with your first step in how to reduce the file size with the TPD.  When the Clean Up Data utility is run after the TPD has been used, will the QB utility (Clean Up Data) actually remove the data or just condense it in summary format?

Thanks
QBKaren View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QBKaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:19am
The deleter actual removes the data from the QB file however, it will still be viewable in the audit log.
Visit our blog at http://www.blog.transactionpro.com for more tips and how to examples
fhannaford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhannaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 12:52pm

1. In terms of the order of doing things, do you need to do Sales / AR before Purchases / AP, of just follow the order within AR and AP?

2. QBE does not have a 'clean data' function, only 'condense'. Use that instead? If so, which option?
3. Do you always need to go to portable and back?

Working on slimming a file that has data from 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. I deleted 2008 AP and AR set, and am working on 2009. I did backups / rebuild following work on 2008...but did not run condense, as I wasn't sure...
Frank Hannaford
CoreTech
QBKaren View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QBKaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 1:15pm
You are correct in later versions of QuickBooks then changed the clean up data to a condense fuction.
Yes the portable creation and re-import is what updates the QB index so that the file size gets reduced.

Does not matter whether you do AR or AP first. 
Visit our blog at http://www.blog.transactionpro.com for more tips and how to examples
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic